Congratulations on your growing family!!
Welcome to Leawood Pediatrics!
The practice was started in 2011 by Drs Mary Hamm, Megan Loeb, Aundria Speropoulos, and Mary Nagy. Their goal has been to create a practice that is innovative, evidence based, and family friendly. All our doctors are moms (and one is now a grandma!) and recognize the unique needs of a child’s health. All four of these physicians have been voted Best Doctors by 435 Magazine for 2017, 2018, and 2019 and we have been voted Best Pediatric Practice in Kansas 3 out of the last 4 years.
Dr. Angela Gatz joined in 2016, and Dr. Putul Allen joined us in August 2017. These physicians have practiced pediatrics prior to coming to Leawood Pediatrics and are experienced in their pediatric knowledge and are moms as well.
Leawood Pediatrics provides primary care to infants, children, adolescents, and young adults up to age 21.
Below is some information about Leawood Pediatrics:
Nursing Staff – We consider our nurses to be some of the best pediatric nurses in town. Each of our physicians has a primary nurse who works with them daily. We also have phone triage nurses who are available to answer your questions during our business hours.
Lactation – We are proud to have a certified lactation consultant, Jan, on staff to support our breastfeeding moms. Jan is available for scheduled private lactation services at our office on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Private lactation services will be considered self-pay. You may submit the charges to your insurance on your own. You will be provided with a bill of service at the time of your visit that you may use to submit for reimbursement from your insurance carrier. We also have two dedicated lactation rooms in our office which provides a comfortable place for feeding and changing our youngest patients!
On Call Physicians – One of our physicians is on call 24 hours a day. Phone calls after business hours are triaged through the Children’s Mercy Hospital nurse triage line. There is an $11 fee charged by Children’s Mercy Hospital that will be charged to your account. You may follow the prompts from our primary phone number to be connected to this line. Our on call physician also rounds at the hospitals.
What to Expect at the Hospital – The on call doctor will come see your baby in the hospital every 24 hours that your baby is there. The doctor will examine your child and discuss concerns and questions with you. She will also review any procedures or lab results that are done in the hospital. If your baby needs NICU care, the on call doctor will transfer your baby’s care to the NICU team. The physicians perform circumcisions in the hospital prior to discharge if you desire that procedure to be done. They will discuss the procedure in the hospital. Drs Allen, Hamm, Loeb, Nagy and Speropoulos use the Plastibell technique and Dr. Gatz uses the Gomco method.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. When do we schedule my baby’s first appointment? Once your child is born, the on call doctor that sees you in the hospital will get your contact information and our office will contact you to schedule your first appointment. We would like to see the baby in our office within 1 to 2 business days of being discharged from the hospital.
2. How often are the babies seen? Babies are typically seen 1 to 2 business days after discharge. Your child may be seen for additional weight check appointments in the first two weeks of life. Well Visits in the first year of life occur at 1, 2, 4, 6, 9 and 12 months. Vaccinations begin in the hospital with Hepatitis B vaccine and the next series of shots occurs at 2 months. Our schedule is open at least six (6) months in advance. Please be proactive in scheduling future appointments.
3. What if I am not delivering at one of your hospitals? If you are delivering at another local hospital, but would like your baby to be seen at Leawood Pediatrics after discharge – no problem! Give us a call to discuss making appropriate arrangements.
4. Do you require patients to be immunized? Yes, we require all patients to be immunized according to the CDC schedule and KS school requirements. We do not accept families who do not vaccinate according to these guidelines.
5. Do you do an alternate vaccine schedule? Our physicians do not recommend an alternate schedule. Vaccines must be given according to the CDC timeline.
6. Can I have a same day appointment? All well visits are scheduled with your primary care doctor. If your child needs seen, please call early in the morning. Our office phones turn on at 7:30AM. We also have walk in appointments available during our QuickCare hours from 8-9am and 3:30pm – 4:30pm Monday thru Friday.
7. Do you have after hours phone calls? All calls are triaged through Children’s Mercy Hospital nurse triage center. There is a $11 fee charged by Children’s Mercy Hospital that will be charged to your account. We have phone nurses available Monday - Friday starting at 7:30am to answer calls, so when possible please utilize this option. Messages left after 4:00PM may be returned the following business day.
Expectant parents are welcome to set up a complimentary appointment with one of our pediatricians to become acquainted with our practice and find out why so many families choose Leawood Pediatrics. Please call us to set up a prenatal appointment.
Contact Info and Hours
5401 College Blvd., Suite 101
Leawood, KS 6211
Monday thru Friday 8AM – 5PM
Walk-In: Monday thru Friday 8AM – 9AM and 3:30PM – 4:30PM
Click here for pictures of our office!
Congratulations on the new addition to your family!! We look forward to caring for your infant and supporting you through the journey of parenthood. Check out our health information library for great articles on newborn care and breastfeeding support.